1. Our compassionate Guru Sahib Ji has given us a temporary body to make a bhagti in this life to get a mukti, and we damage it and ruin it by applying makeup. Guru Sahib Ji tells us: ਸਭਿ ਰਸ ਭੋਗਣ ਬਾਦਿ ਹਹਿ ਹਹਿ ਸਭਿ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਵਿਕਾਰ॥, which means to enjoy all the pleasures of the world is useless and all ornaments are useless (because this body will be reduced to ashes in one day). Gurbani also tells us: ਲਖ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਜਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੇਤੁ॥, which means one can adorn oneself in a thousand ways, but it is useless. Gurbani revealed several times that we should fear Vaheguru Ji and follow his cousin as ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰ. How can we make ends meet when we spend our time making makeup and entertaining others with lies?
2. Cosmetics is a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide, owned by international companies. According to US figures for 2015, the US was the most valuable market for beauty and personal care, with a market value of $ 80 billion. To increase profits, companies use the media to deceive the public, showing how women should look. According to them, women should have a clear and flawless face (using a base and mask), colored eyes (using eye shadow and eyeliner), large black eyebrows (using mascara), colored lips (using lipstick), cheeks pink (using blush), colored nails, a fragrant body, beautiful hairstyles, etc. This market is heavily dependent on women, and companies direct them to say that their bodies are not good enough. By wearing makeup, we respond to the needs of the community, strive to balance the status of women in the community, adhere to the standards of beauty, and allow companies to control our bodies. However, Dhan Guru Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj wanted his sons and daughters to be nare. Guru Sahib Ji said:
ਜਬ ਲਗ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਆਰਾ॥॥
ਤਬ ਲਗ ਤੇਜ ਦੀਓ ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰਾ॥॥
ਜਬ ਇਹ ਗਹੈ ਬਿਪਰਨ ਕੀ ਰੀਤਿ॥॥
ਮੈ ਨ ਕਰਉਂ ਇਨ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਤ॥॥
How can we be nare if we can not be separated from the rest of society?
3. Companies tell us that Vaheguru Ji has made us not good enough. We need to rely on human products to look good. By wearing makeup, we are opposing Guru Sahib’s will, as stated in the video. We do not respect the creation of Sache Patshah.
4. These companies are only concerned with profit growth. They are not worried about the negative effects of applying makeup on the skin. Many of these cosmetic products now appear to be toxic and harmful to the human body. One in eight ingredients used in cosmetics is an industrial chemical. These ingredients have been shown to cause cancer, protect against disease, and cause genital and neurological damage. These chemicals enter the bloodstream, damaging the human body. Perfumes and scents for hair are fragrant; lipstick or lipgloss swallowed with food; eye makeup is absorbed by the delicate mucous membranes, which can cause eye strain and blindness. Acne, skin allergies, eye infections, premature aging, infertility, and headaches are some of the known harmful effects of wearing makeup.
We are harming our bodies by wearing makeup. Still, what body are we talking about? Gurbani says, “ਇਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਚੇ ਕੀ ਵਿਚਿਜੋਤਿ॥॥” We injure our bodies where Vaheguru Ji’s jacket rests. Guru Sahib Ji calls the human body Har Ka Mandar and tells us the essence of the human body:
ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਕਾਇਆ ਕੋਟੁ ਗੜੁ॥॥
ਅੰਦਰਿ ਲਾਲ ਜਵੇਹਰੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪੜੁ॥॥
ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਅਤਿ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਿੜੁ ਦਿੜੁ॥
We gave our heads to Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj when we took Amrit. This body is no longer ours. So why wear something (makeup, western clothing, jewelry, etc.) that does not please Guru Sahib Ji? We have a responsibility to keep this Har Ka Mandar clean and healthy.
5. Some people argue that there is nothing in Rehit that prohibits the use of cosmetics. However, the Rehitnama of Bhai Daya Singh Ji tells us: ਸੁਰਮਾਦਿਕ ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰ ਨਹਿਂ, ਨਹਿਂ ਪਰ ਤਰੁਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ, which means not to wear makeup or ornaments; do not commit adultery.
6. Women wear makeup with issues of confidence and pleasure of the opposite sex, regardless of their partner or men in general. Women do not let their husbands see them without makeup. There have been cases where husbands have not seen their wives without makeup after marriage, and their marriages have ended in divorce. At one point, the bride’s face became wet in the swimming pool and all her makeup came out. The husband divorced his wife a few days after the wedding. In one case, the husband thought that there was a thief in the house, but in reality, it was his wife.
Women’s lack of confidence in their physical appearance also comes from men, even Gursikhs. Many Gursikh men expect their wives to wear makeup and to look “beautiful.” This is very problematic. Relationships can never be strong if they are based on outward appearance or in kaam. There are always conflicts when women want their partners or people to love them because of their false outward appearance. We have to allow others like us however Guru Sahib Ji did. Do we need a false sense of security? Do we need the attention of the opposite sex? Isn’t this the kind of kaam? Do we want a relationship based on lies?
7. While some women may think that makeup gives them satisfaction, Gurbani says otherwise. Guru Nanak Dev Ji Patshah says:
ਨੈਨ ਸਲੋਨੀ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨਾਰੀ॥
ਖੋੜ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਕਰੈ ਅਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ॥॥
ਬਿਨੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਭਜੇ ਨਿਤ ਖੁਆਰੀ॥॥
Guru Arjun Dev Ji Patshah also writes:
ਜਉ ਮੈ ਕੀਓ ਸਗਲ ਸੀਗਾਰਾ॥॥
ਤਉ ਭੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਨ ਪਤੀਆਰਾ॥॥
ਅਨਿਕ ਸੁਗੰਧਤ ਤਨ ਮਿ ਲਾਵਉ॥॥
ਓਹੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਸਮਾਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਵਉ॥॥
ਮਨਮਹਿ ਚਿਤਵਉ ਐਸੀ ਆਸਾਈ॥
ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਦੇਖਤ ਜੀਵਉ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਈ ॥੧॥॥
ਮਾਈ ਕਹਾ ਕਰਉ ਇਹੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨ ਧੀਰੈ॥॥
ਪਿਰ੍ਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਬੈਰਾਗੁ ਹਿਰੈ॥ਰਹਾਉ॥
ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਸੁਖ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਿਸੇਖੈ॥॥
ਓਇ ਜਾਨਉ ਕਿਤੈ ਨਲੇਖੈ ॥… (੩੭੩).
These charts show that adorning our bodies does not eliminate our suffering or bring us happiness. Only I can bring happiness and happiness.
8. Some women argue that they get better job opportunities by wearing makeup. It is all in the hands of Guru Sahib Ji.